10 Interesting Rabbit Breeds in Nigeria
Are you thinking of the rabbit breeds to buy when starting your own rabbit farm in Nigeria, getting a pet rabbit or trying rabbit meat? If your answer is yes, then you’re in the right place.
In this article you’ll learn really cool and helpful information about the 10 best rabbit breeds you can find in Nigeria. When you’re done reading you would have a general knowledge of the best rabbit breeds in Nigeria and know which one would suit your needs.
Before you buy a rabbit there are a few things to consider but what makes it easier for you to make your decision is knowing the reason why you want to get it.
To start a rabbit farm you’ll need rabbits with good meat to bone ratio, if it’s a rabbit pet you may decide to get the breed with the longest life- span.
I decided to do this research for my personal use because I had issues identifying some of the rabbit breeds I see around due to their similarities. And, my research helped me learn a lot, I hope you learn a thing or two too!
YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN: Why You Should Open a Flutterwave Store.
List of 10 Best Rabbit Breeds in Nigeria.
There are about 49 breeds of rabbits recognized by the American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA), you’ll be learning about 10 of the rabbit breeds you can find in Nigeria.
1. Name: Satin Rabbit Breed.
The satin rabbit originates from the US, it was found in the 1930s. The name “satin” perfectly fits this breed because of the texture and unique shine of it’s fur.
Medium to Large.
It comes in a variety of a colors. Most common are black, white, blue, brown and red.
The satin rabbit found in the UK are smaller and weigh around 2.7-3.6kg (6-8Ibs), the ones in the US are a bit larger at about 3.6-5kg (8-11Ibs) and you’re most likely to find the former in Nigeria.
Characteristics of a Satin Rabbit.
- This breed of rabbit has a broad head, sturdy and upright ears.
- It has soft, shiny fur with satin-like texture.
- It has strong legs, arched body and a medium build.
- A satin rabbit is very gentle in nature, friendly and would make a good pet especially if you’ve children.
2. Name: New Zealand White Rabbit Breeds.
The new Zealand white rabbit originates from the US. Other varieties were bred in Europe but the most common breed is the new Zealand white, this breed usually has either red or black eyes.
Medium to Large (mostly large).
The breed comes in four varieties, white, blue, black and broken pattern. The new Zealand blue is a rare breed and the most common is the white breed (with red eyes).
This rabbit breed weight varies. The new Zealand white rabbit breed in the US can weigh about 4-5kg (9-12Ibs), while the new Zealand white rabbit breed in Nigeria can weigh between 2.2-5kg (5-12Ibs).
Characteristics of a New Zealand White Rabbit.
- A new Zealand white rabbit is distinguished by its dense white fur, upstanding hair and its red eyes.
- This rabbit breed is very intelligent, affectionate and you can easily teach it tricks. This makes it a good option if you want to get a pet rabbit.
- It usually has a broad body, rounded haunches and short, strong legs.
- Due to it’s calm and docile behavior it’s very cool with being carried and shown affection.
3. Name: Dutch Rabbit Breed.
This breed is one of the oldest breeds, originating in Britain. It is one of the top ten most popular breeds.
Initially most of the Dutch breed were black but as with a lot of rabbit breeds new varieties have been introduced thanks to crossbreeding.
Small to Medium.
Dutch rabbits are recognized in seven colors in America. Color varieties are; black, blue, brown grey, yellow, steel grey, chocolate and tortoise shell.
These colors are sometimes mixed with white marking on the front and hind legs also on the rabbit’s back and tail.
A Dutch rabbit breed could weigh between 1.5kg to 3kg (3.5Ibs-6Ibs).
Characteristics of a Dutch Rabbit.
- This breed as short hair with smooth and glossy fur.
- Dutch rabbit breed has broad head, full cheeks with short and upright ears.
- It is very intelligent, friendly and is very receptive to physical attention.
- The Dutch rabbit’s portable size and easy-going nature makes it a very good choice if you’re a rabbit lover who want a rabbit as pet.
4. Name: Fauve de Bourgogne Rabbit Breeds.
The Fauve de Bourgogne rabbit is one of the oldest breed from France. It was developed through selective breeding of fawn colored rabbits.
This rabbit breed is very rare and is hardly found outside its home country, France. But lucky for you can find it in various rabbit farms in Nigeria!
The Fauve de Bourgogne rabbit breed has a very distinctive and attractive fur color which is a lovely orange-red color.
A Fauve de Bourgogne rabbit could weigh between 3kg to 4kg (7Ibs – 8Ibs).
Characteristics of a Fauve de Bourgogne Rabbit.
- The rabbit breed as a broad head with a short and strong neck.
- It has a docile and gentle temperament and would make a great family pet (though it’s not so playful. I can personally testify to this…lol).
- This breed of rabbit is very susceptible to infections and colds so it’s best you keep it in a stress-free, well-ventilated environment with no sudden change in temperature.
YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN: Meet the Retired Banker Turned Successful Rabbit Farmer.
5. Name: Hyila Rabbit Breed.
The popular Hyila breed rabbit in Nigeria is a cross breed between Hyila Max and Hyila Ng (Nigeria) breeds. This rabbit breed has been genetically improved on to have fast growth and reach table size (2kg) within 2 months.
The Hyila rabbit breed is pure white in color, with red eyes and the tips of the nose and ears of Hyila Max rabbit breed is slightly black while that of an Hyila Ng is slightly black.
An Hyila rabbit breed could weigh between 5kg to 5.5kg ( about 9Ibs).
Characteristics of a Hyila Rabbit.
- This breed of rabbits mature quickly and are ready to mate at 4 to 5 months old.
- The Hyila rabbit breed as a full fluffy coat (fur) and a plump body.
- Like most rabbits they are very curious and enjoy living in large spaces (their size could as play a role in this).
- Because of the meat to bone ratio and large size, it’s one of the best breed you can have in your farm.
6. Name: Cottontail Rabbit Breeds.
There are several types of Cottontail rabbit breed but the most common is the Eastern Cottontail rabbit. This rabbit breed can be found in various countries including Canada, South America and Nigeria.
Medium to Large.
The color of this rabbit breed ranges from reddish brown to grey this is accompanied by their signature “cotton ball” tail for which they’re named.
A Cottontail rabbit breed could weigh 1.5kg to 2.5kg (3.3lbs – 5.5lbs).
Characteristics of a Cottontail Rabbit.
- This rabbit breed has really high reproductivity capacity and knows how to take care of its babies very well,
- Cottontail rabbit breed can easily adapt to any environment but prefer to be allowed to roam about a place. (This you should do especially if you’ve properly rabbit-proofed the place)
- The females of these breed are more reserved and quiet than the males who enjoy playing around and make excellent rabbit pets.
7. Name: American Chinchilla Rabbit Breed.
This rabbit breed originated in France and is named after a South American rodent with similar fur color.
The American Chinchilla rabbit was developed by crossbreeding three different breeds of rabbits, the Himalayans, Beverens and wide-colored Agouti rabbits.
Small to Medium.
The American Chinchilla rabbit breed is a mix of three colors/ patterns, slate blue, pearl and black Agouti pattern.
It could weigh between 2.5kg to 3kg (5.5lbs – 7ibs).
Characteristics of the American Chinchilla Rabbit.
- This breed has a very soft, silky coat of dense hair.
- The American Chinchilla rabbit has Agouti coloring, meaning its hair has different coloring along hair bands (the one close to the skin is slate blue, the middle color band is pearl and the tips of the hair is grey).
- Its eye-circles, belly, flanks and neck have pale pearl ticking while the ears are laced with black.
- It’s a very curious, intelligent and playful rabbit breed and would make a great pet for you.
8. Name: Californian Rabbit Breeds.
The Californian rabbit breed originates in the Southern California.
It was developed by crossing an Himalayan breed with a standard Chinchilla breed, then crossing their offspring with the New Zealand white breed.
This breed of rabbit as colors similar to that of the Himalayan rabbit breed, a white body and colored points. It has very dark brown (almost black) markings on it’s tail, ear, feet and nose.
It can weight between 4.9kg to 5.45 kg / 10.8lbs to 12.0lbs (mostly the female. Which is this case for most rabbits, female rabbits called doe weigh more than the male rabbits called buck).
Characteristics of Californian Rabbit.
- The Californian rabbit breed as pink eyes, very short neck and is quite muscular.
- It has a soft and silky fur.
- Like most rabbit breeds on this list the Californian rabbit is very good for commercial production.
- This rabbit breed as a very beautiful appearance and an easy-going temperaments that makes it a wonderful option if you need a family pet rabbit.
9. Name: Flemish Giant Rabbit Breed.
The Flemish Giant rabbit is the largest breed in existence and originates in the Flanders.
It is a largely domesticated rabbit mainly known for it’s large size. It’s also fondly called the “Gentle Giant” because of its docile personality or “Universal Rabbit” because it can be reared for a variety of purpose.
The American Rabbit Breeders Association (ARBA) recognize seven different colors for this breed which are black, steel gray, fawn, light gray, blue, sandy and white.
- The Flemish Giant rabbit breed could weigh between 5.9kg to 6.4kg/ 13lbs to 14.1lbs (some even weigh up to 10kg/ 22lbs).
Characteristics of the Flemish Giant Rabbit.
- It has large ears which form a V shape above its head.
- This rabbit breed has medium length hair with dense undercoat, its fur has a glossy sheen.
- The Flemish Giant rabbit is calm and very friendly making it an excellent pet.
- If you’ve other pets like a dog, this rabbit breed is the best pet option for you. This is because it gets along well with other pets.
10. Name: Rex Rabbit Breeds.
The Rex rabbit breed is an European breed originated in France. This breed is named for the rex gene responsible for its unique type of fur.
Medium to Large.
This rabbit breed comes in a variety of colors.
The most common are Black, Blue, Amber, Chinchilla, Chocolate, Lynx, Opal, Castor, Lilac, Red, Sable, Californian, Seal and White.
The Rex rabbit breed could weigh between 3.4kg to about 4.8kg (7.5lbs to 10.5lbs).
Characteristics of a Rex Rabbit.
- It has strong legs and curly whiskers.
- The Rex rabbit breed has dense, smooth coat with a firm and plush texture.
- The female Rex rabbit is very maternal and is often caring for other rabbits. This makes it an excellent foster mother.
- This rabbit breed is very active (especially in the morning or at night).
- It’s extremely affectionate and enjoys human company.
- The Rex rabbit breed is very intelligent and can be easily trained.
YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN: How to Work Smart and Make Money from Snail Farming Without Stress.
What Do You Think?
Rabbits are on of the most amazing animals to rear (speaking from experience). Especially if you’ve different breeds, you get to enjoy their different personalities.
The parts of a rabbit that can be used is either it’s fur or meat also it is an excellent pet choice.
In Nigeria, people mostly buy rabbits because they need a pet or they want to eat rabbit meat.
It’s very easy to find a rabbit to buy in Nigeria, so if you want to you can easily buy one. All you’ve to do is check google or social media platforms.
That said, I hope you enjoyed reading this article. And, I would love to know your thoughts regarding it.
If you’re planning to start a rabbit farm, get a rabbit pet or are just plain curious about rabbits I hope you’ve got the information you need now! 🙂
P.S: You can get rabbit from my farm or make inquiries. Place orders via my Flutterwave Store, send me a message on WhatsApp or a mail (+2349058609788 / email@example.com).
Jumoke is black young woman passionate about marketing, writing, research and storytelling.
She is committed to using her God-given talents to make her world a better place.
She is the founder of Gro2Star Farms a registered business that is involved in rabbit, snail farming and feed making in Nigeria.
She is also the CEO of SnailsPlug, a subsidiary of Gro2Star Farms that sources for, processes, packages, markets and distributes processed snails.
Jumoke enjoys working for individuals and brands to help them achieve their brand dreams and goals.
When she isn’t working on creating badass contents she enjoys relaxing with her family, farm animals, dancing, listening to cool songs or just living her best life!